- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast or 1 (1/4 ounce) package for manual directions
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
- Add warm water to a small bowl. Sprinkle on the package active dry yeast; do not stir. Cover with a saucer and allow to proof for 5 minutes. Stir and allow to proof for an additional 3 minutes. Mixture should be frothy. If it isn't, discard and start over.
- In a bowl, mix together flour and salt. Mix in yeast-water mixture and lightly knead in the bowl. Cover and set aside to allow dough to rise, about 1 hour. (You may add whatever seasoning you'd like for a flavored bagel when adding the flour and salt.) Grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut into eight equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 1" thick, wet ends and stick together. Transfer to prepared cookie sheet, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place. Preheat oven to 550 degrees F.
- Fill a wok (or whatever you use) with about 3" water. Place vegan sugar in this water and bring to a boil. Add bagels for 1 minute, turning them as they boil. Drain.
- Return dough to the greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15 minutes, or until desired browning occurs.