- 1/4th cup long grain rice (washed and drained)
- 4-5 cups milk
- 2-3 cardamom seeds (crushed)
- 2 tbsp almonds (blanched silvered)
- A pinch of saffron threads, soaked in a little hot milk
- 1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp sugar or as desired
- Put the rice, milk and cardamom in a pan, bring to boil and simmer gently until the rice is soft and the grains are starting to break up.
- Add almonds, pistachio, saffron and raisins and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove the rice kheer from heat and serve either warm or chilled.