Rich chocolate cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water, cold press or chilled coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Combine oil, water or coffee and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well blended and smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir briefly; the baking soda will begin to react with the vinegar right away, leaving pale swirls in the batter. *Without wasting any time, pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with the tiniest bit of crumb on it. Let the cupcakes cool 5 minutes in the pan, remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Ingredients for Chocolate-Coffee Frosting
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons natural margarine spread
- 1/8 cup hot coffee/milk/water
- 1/8 cup milk, plus 1-3 tablespoons more if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions for Chocolate-Coffee Frosting
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave until smooth,stirring frequently.
- Stir in the hot coffee, then the milk and vanilla. Place in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until spreadable.
- Add several (3-4) tablespoons of more soy milk until you reach the consistency desired.