Vegan chocolate cake with glaze
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (you may substitute this for coffee)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons margarine or vegan butter substitute
- 2 Tablespoons soy milk
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1)For the Cake
Preheat oven to 350F (177C). In an 8 x 8 inch square pan, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt with a fork. Add the water or coffee, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and vinegar. Mix the ingredients together. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.
2)For the Glaze
In a small saucepan bring the ugar, margarine, soy milk and cocoa powder to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer for 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract.
3)Pour the glaze onto cake and let it cool for one hour.
4)I garnished todays cake with some toasted coconut. When you heat/toast coconut on pan, do not add any butter or oil. (Coconut has its own buttery goodnesss )